Tuesday 8 February 2011

R.I.P Bill Smyth. 1936 - 2011

R.I.P Bill Smyth.


I've known Bill since I was about 8. He used to always bound into the studio in the radio station and stick his earphones in the headphone jack on the news readers desk and start the news with the most articulate speech you could imagine. He made every story seem exciting, and even the stories that would bore most people to tears, Bill managed to inject some life into. I will always remember the Saturdays when dad took me into work with him, and I got to sit in the newsroom with Bill looking through the newspaper articles for something interesting to talk about. Bill's hatred of technology was apparent, and instead of using a dictaphone like most reporters, Bill preferred to write in shorthand, much to the dismay of anyone else trying to read his writing.  His catchphrase quickly becoming "It's not bloody working!" Bill will always be in my heart not just for his quality of reporting, but for his outstanding kindness and warm heart.

R.I.P Bill, Radio has lost one of it's last true legends in Northern Ireland

No comments:

Post a Comment