Tuesday 23 February 2010

Out of the Zoological Society of UHL

Well, they moved me to the other hospital. And low and behold I splatted on the way. I told them. I told them I don't like being moved when I'm unstable, but hey. What do I know? They're only my lungs after all. I'm not very happy with the way I was treated this time. They kept me there a lot longer than I needed to be. I'm the first person to admit when I need to be in hospital, but this time there was just no need. To be honest I think it's about time I argued my case for home nebs. Because this is getting ridiculous. Had I have had home nebs I would've been home a long time ago. They also said on my discharge letter that I discharged myself, was admitted because of "Foolish Behaviour" and went "Against Medical Advice" so I'm going to be having major words with my consultant about how his junior doctors write their damned discharge letters.

I think this time I've learnt a lot about how I need to speak to doctors. Normally I'm quite "Well if you say so" but from now on I'm going to have to start being more assertive. Nothing will ever get done if I sit back and say "Well if you say so" which was part of the reason I was in for 15 days. It's not fun. Specially when you're on a ward with a woman whose NIV makes farting noises and keeps you up all night so you don't get a proper nights sleep for 4 days. How they expect you to rest is beyond me.

I'm starting to accept my asthma is more severe than it was this time last year. I've gone from having a peak flow averaging around 500 to getting at the highest 400 and that was on an altered peak flow meter so I could get out of hospital. I don't want to admit it but I'm going to have to start making a few changes to my lifestyle. I won't be able to go on Red Cross duties where I know I'm going to be sitting outside all day, I won't be able to go running as much as I might like. Although when I get a bit more money I'm tempted to join the gym because at least then I'm not running in the cold. The question now is though, where do I go from here? They're talking about a trial drug called Xolair which is something they're looking to see if I'm eligable for. Also I think until I get Xolair, home nebs is something I'm going to have to push for because an admission a month just isn't fair. Prof has suggested it, but I don't think he's very keen. But we'll see, I'm in clinic on Monday. Even if it's only a temporary thing until he gets me under control again.

Anyway, I'll leave you with a few pics of me and the drugs I take on a day to day basis etc.



Even in hospital I manage a smile :)



Sats and heartrate where playing silly buggers on 10L. We weren't amused.




Daily Drugs of an Asthmatic

No comments:

Post a Comment